I’ll be honest in this quarantine craziness it’s easy to get into a pizza/pasta/homemade bread cycle and as much as I love carbs it’s good to switch it up with something a little lighter. While this dish did feel lighter than the deep dish I had the day before it definitely fills you up with all the protein from the tofu and fiber from the green beans. And it doesn’t skimp on flavor with a killer glaze that goes on the tofu. I rarely roast green beans but I’m definitely going to start because spicy gb’s with just olive oil, red pepper flakes and salt are a game changer. Toss this all with a little rice and you have a super quick and satisfying meal.
You’ll need (for 4 hungry people):
- 20 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- Oil or cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 5 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 5 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1-2 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- 1-2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Optional to serve with: white or brown rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice
- Line a plate with paper towels. Place tofu on top. Cover with more paper towels and place a heavy item on top (I use my cast iron skillet). Set aside for 10-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease two baking sheets with oil or cooking spray.
- Whisk tamari, garlic, honey, ginger and sesame oil together and set aside.
- Cut tofu into triangles and place in single layer on prepared baking sheet. Brush tofu with half of the soy sauce mixture. Bake 12 minutes until golden-brown on bottom.
- While tofu is baking toss greens beans with olive oil, generous salt/pep and red pepper flakes. Place on second baking sheet.
- When tofu is done take it out and flip the tofu. Brush with remaining soy mixture. Place tofu and green beans back in oven for another 12 minutes. You may want to leave your green beans in a little longer depending on how “done” you want them to be. I like mine a little crunchy but it could use 5-10 additional minutes to get really soft and roasted.
- Sprinkle tofu and green beans with sesame seeds and scallions and serve with rice.
Inspired by TheKitchn