It is truly wild times and while I could go on and on about the state of the world right now you are here for banana bread so I’ll get right to it. This bread has no added sugar just the sweetness of the bananas (this way I felt good about serving it to one year old Leila) and it’s perfectly sweet on its own. Five very ripe bananas help. You can definitely use frozen bananas and frozen blueberries but if you’re trying to burn through some fresh produce in your stash before it goes bad this is a perfect fit. You could also use chocolate chips or walnuts in place of blueberries- again I was trying to make this baby friendly. Fortunately, this recipe only uses one egg but if your supply is low on eggs I could see this working with a flax egg too. Stay safe everyone!
- 5 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup blueberries (I used frozen, wild blueberries- could also sub nuts or chocolate chips)
- Coconut oil or something for greasing the pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease loaf pan (optional line with parchment).
- In large bowl combine mashed bananas, egg and vanilla.
- In smaller bowl whisk together wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Take a tablespoon of this dry mixture and mix in a small cup with the blueberries (this coats the blueberries and prevents them from sinking in the batter).
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Spread batter across loaf pan and bake for 25 minutes. Cover with aluminum and bake another 5-10 minutes testing with a toothpick for doneness. Let cool and enjoy.