I can’t stress enough how easy and important this bread is right now. Hopefully everyone reading this is staying at home which is good but sadly means fresh bread is not a part of our lives.
If you have flour this bread can be a part of your life every day with almost no work on your end. You just combine the ingredients for a sec and let them sit overnight. Plop in the oven the next day and bam you have beautiful crazy delicious bread.
- If you don’t have rapid rise yeast I don’t think it’s going to make a big difference if you use active dry yeast.
- Start with the minimum amount of water and if it’s super dry add more.
- A dutch oven or cast iron pot is pretty key here but if all you have is a big pasta or soup pot I’d still give it a try.
- Ideally you’re using parchment paper but if not just make sure you sprinkle flour all over the inside of your pot.
With all the stress out there in the world warm fresh bread is about as comforting as it gets. I mean you really deserve this bread right now. Please give it a shot you won’t regret it… I am legit going to make this around the clock until we run out of flour.
It’s especially good with butter but a little olive oil and parmesan… jam… peanut butter…. even eaten plain is fab as well.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 teaspoon rapid rise yeast
- 1.5-2 cups water (at room temperature)
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt and yeast. Pour water into bowl and combine using a spatula or wooden spoon until well incorporated. Okay that’s about it cover with plastic wrap and let rise for at least 12 hours (but longer… probably for days even… is fine too).
- Place your dutch oven with lid on in a cold oven and then preheat oven to 450 degrees F. The pot will heat up while the oven is warming.
- Place a decent sized square of parchment on your counter. Flour your handle and sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough. Gently remove dough from bowl and roughly shape into a ball (really not a big deal you could practically skip this step but trying to get it roughly in a ball is nice). Place dough on parchment. Remove your pot from the oven and place parchment into the pot so the dough sits on the bottom.
- Bake the bread for 30 minutes with the lid on then remove lid and bake another 15 minutes. Remove bread from pot and let cool (if you can stand it). Slice and enjoy!