There are so many things I love about this cookie. One- it’s Spring and nothing says Spring to my like lemon poppy seed anything (check out my lemon poppy seed cake here for more on that). Adding the pink glaze makes these Spring appropriate and a perfect Easter brunch item this weekend.
These are soft… almost cake-like.. brightly lemony and sweet from the glaze. I keep frozen dragon fruit in my freezer (from the frozen fruit section at your grocery store) for smoothies and just left some in the fridge to thaw out (you could also thaw under hot water) and used that in the glaze giving it that gorgeous color and great flavor.
Using an ice cream scoop will make these round and proportional but they’ll taste just as good if you drop them by the spoonful.
More importantly- these are perfect with the Game of Thrones final season in our midst. I made these for a party for episode one for the following reasons:
- Poppy Seeds = Milk of the Poppy aka the pain killer of the seven kingdoms… these cookies might be equally effective on curing any ailments you may have (they even give you energy when you’re a sleep deprived new mom 🤪).
- Lemon= Sansa’s love of lemon cakes… Sansa seems pretty grumpy that she has a new Queen…. I don’t blame her and wish I could give her one of these cake-like cookies to cheer her up.
- Dragon Fruit Glaze= this one’s obvious… I have to say my least favorite scene was the Jon/Daenerys dragon flight. 1- I’ve been waiting forever for Jon to ride that namesake dragon and it should have been a bigger deal and more shocking to Daenerys? How do you not get this dude is a Targaryen yet? Also cheesy make out scene felt out of place aren’t you guys busy being worried the world is ending?
Any way these cookies were delicious and would be perfect to stress eat during the next episode because who even knows how this Bran/mean mugging and northern version of Jamie reunion is going to go.
- 2.25 cups flour
- 0.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.75 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temp
- 2 large eggs (ideally at room temp)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2-3 tablespoons dragon fruit puree (from a frozen packet that’s been thawed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl. In the bowl of a stand up mixer or large bowl rub together lemon zest and sugar. Add butter and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, lemon juice and vanilla until smooth. Stir in poppy seeds. Using a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon drop dough onto parchment lined baking sheets two inches apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes until just set. Let cool completely on wire rack.
- Once cookies are cool make the glaze (if you make glaze in advance before cookies are ready it will get too thick). Whisk together sugar and dragon fruit (you can add more dragon fruit if you want a pinker/runnier glaze). Using a spoon spread a little on each cookie and let set. Cookies keep well for a few days in an air tight container.
Inspired by TwoPeasAndAPod