My mom has been making these since the beginning of time and they rank pretty high on the nostalgia chart for me. It only makes sense this is my first Christmas-y post of the year.
I love cheesecake like any sane person and in this bar format cheesecake consumption is even easier. Let these chill in the fridge before slicing, and slice them up small… they’re pretty rich. I mean what says holiday indulgence more than a cheesecake/shortbread/red and green candy combination? Thanks for releasing this classic from the vault mom.
- 1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 0.5 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 8 ounce block cream cheese, at room temperature
- 0.25 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 0.75 cup multicolored chocolate candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8×8 inch baking pan.
- Beat brown sugar and butter with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Stir in flour and walnuts. Remove 1/2 cup of this mixture and set aside. Press remaining crumb mixture into square pan. Bake for 10 minutes then let cool. Sprinkle ½ cup of candies on top.
- Beat together cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Beat in egg. Pour on top of bar base and candies.
- Chop remaining ¼ cup of candies and mix with reserved crumb mixture. Sprinkle candy/crumb mixture on top of cream cheese layer. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely, store in fridge.