Thanksgiving is officially over… and before I start posting a million Christmas recipes I thought I’d sneak in a little healthy/easy/comforting meal. If you didn’t put your Christmas tree up yet (like I did before Thanksgiving… don’t judge me 😳) this Veggie Quinoa Chili would be perfect food to accompany tree decorating and Christmas music.
It’s also great when you want to feed a crowd. I buy disposable black coffee mugs with a handle for serving. This way, guests can fill their mug up on the stove and mingle around without their hands being too full. Their stomachs will be the most full though because this chili is super hearty. There’s just enough quinoa in there to give it that heft without it feeling like it has strayed too far from a normal chili recipe. Tons of spice and delicious veggies- you won’t miss the meat I promise. So make this chili, get decorating and by the time you’re done I’ll have some baked goods up here and we can get the holiday spirit in full swing.
- 0.75 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalepeno pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinse
- 1 (15 ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 (15 ounce) cans diced tomato
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2.5 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1.5 teaspoon paprika
- 0.5 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 0.5 teaspoon ground coriander
- 0.25 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Optional: grated cheese, avocado, greek yogurt, etc for topping
- Heat olive oil in large cast iron pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno, carrot, celery, peppers and zucchini cooking until veggies are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in black beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and cooked quinoa. Season with all the spices. Simmer for 30 minutes on low. Serve warm with optional garnishes.
Inspired by TwoPeasandTheirPod