Keeping the healthy January food motivation going with inspiration from my favorite color. So many green things going on here with kale, cucumber and scallions.
You get some crunch from the endive and pistachio (also green) and some tangy/salty love from the feta. Toss with hearty quinoa, a simple dressing and this becomes perfect New Year’s resolution food.
Make it in bulk so you have something yummy/healthy to attack as soon as you get back from the gym. Or make it bulk and be all set to chomp away while watching Downton Abbey on repeat until next week’s new episode. Choose your choice, either way… try this salad.
- 1 cup quinoa (any color- I used red)
- 1 bunch kale (I used tuscan kale)
- 3 scallions
- Half of an English cucumber
- 2 heads of endive
- 0.25 cup crumbled feta (could leave out for vegan)
- 0.25 cup chopped pistachio
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 0.5 cup olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
To Make (roughly four portions):
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions (bring to boil, cover, reduce to simmer, you know the drill). Set aside to cool.
- Remove ribs from the kale and discard ribs. Chop kale leaves. Transfer the chopped kale to a large bowl. Sprinkle a small pinch of sea salt over the kale and massage the leaves with your hands by lightly scrunching big handfuls at a time, until the leaves are darker in color. This takes some of the bitterness out.
- Slice the cucumber length wise and scoop out/discard the seeds. Small dice.
- Quarter the endive long ways and slice thinly.
- Slice the scallions (white and green parts) thinly.
- Add cucumber, endive, scallions and quinoa to the bowl with the kale. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and maple syrup. Season dressing with salt/pep.
- Pour half of the dressing over the quinoa/green mixture. Slowly add more to taste. Check for seasonings.
- Gently stir in pistachio and feta leaving a little aside to garnish.