Happy 2016! I’m pretty confident my body is 90% cookies right now and a holiday detox is in order. Not anything extreme. Baked treats are still allowed under certain parameters. Like so many of my favs from 2015 (I’m looking at you Healthy-ish Dark Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Bars and Arugula Pesto Pizza) I try to justify indulgences with sneaky nutritious ingredients.
In these Blueberry Protein Muffins you have some whole wheat flour and coconut oil going on plus protein-rich greek yogurt and omega-3 party flaxseed meal. And all the worlds oats.
The result is a slightly sweet, moist and hearty blueberry muffin that is a great alternative to the leftover holiday cookies I almost had for breakfast.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 0.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.5 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons old fashioned oats (divided)
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups plain greek yogurt (I used a mix of 2% and Whole Milk)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil- melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
To Make (16 smallish muffins):
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 1 cup of oats, flax meal, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, beat together the yogurt, oil, vanilla and eggs (I used a hand mixer). Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix to combine. You will have a pretty dense batter.
- Try your best to fold in the blueberries. If some get squished it’s okay they’re still delicious.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons oats and brown sugar.
- Divide batter into muffin tin. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with the oat/sugar mixture.
- Bake for 20 minute. Let cool 1 minute in pan before removing.
Inspired by TheLemonBowl
Muffins look delicious! I bake something similar and they are always a helpful start to healthier eating.
Thank you and agreed!
Happy New Year!! These are the best looking muffins I’ve ever seen! Can’t believe they are healthy but love that they are. My body is about 90% sweets right now because of all the cake, biscotti, and fudge I ate. Thank goodness Christmas is only once a year 🙂
Thanks so much! I am feeling the same way for sure!
I cannot have dairy so can I add almond or coconut milk or coconut cream instead of the yogurt? If yes how much, do you think? thanks for your advise. Your recipe sounds so good.
I would substitute it with a vegan yogurt like soy yogurt. Equal amounts. Hope that helps!