Happy 2016! I’m pretty confident my body is 90% cookies right now and a holiday detox is in order. Not anything extreme. Baked treats are still allowed under certain parameters. Like so many of my favs from 2015 (I’m looking at you Healthy-ish Dark Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Bars and Arugula Pesto Pizza) I try to justify indulgences with sneaky nutritious ingredients.
In these Blueberry Protein Muffins you have some whole wheat flour and coconut oil going on plus protein-rich greek yogurt and omega-3 party flaxseed meal. And all the worlds oats.
The result is a slightly sweet, moist and hearty blueberry muffin that is a great alternative to the leftover holiday cookies I almost had for breakfast.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 0.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.5 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons old fashioned oats (divided)
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups plain greek yogurt (I used a mix of 2% and Whole Milk)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil- melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
To Make (16 smallish muffins):
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 1 cup of oats, flax meal, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, beat together the yogurt, oil, vanilla and eggs (I used a hand mixer). Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix to combine. You will have a pretty dense batter.
- Try your best to fold in the blueberries. If some get squished it’s okay they’re still delicious.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons oats and brown sugar.
- Divide batter into muffin tin. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with the oat/sugar mixture.
- Bake for 20 minute. Let cool 1 minute in pan before removing.
Inspired by TheLemonBowl