If you’re jonesin for pizza but need a break from delivery I have your answer. While these are certainly a lightened up version of pizza with spaghetti squash in place of crust it’s still a really rich and filling meal.
I mixed some sauteed spinach and mushrooms into the squash but you could mix in any cooked vegetable you have on hand. You could skip the veggies all together but I would still mix in some garlic oil and parmesan so the squash has some flavor. You could also mix red pepper flakes into the squash if you want to add more heat.
By using shredded cheese and store bought marina this is very easy to make. The squash does need time to cook but the in terms of active cooking time it’s pretty minimal. And when the bubbly, cheesy squash comes out of the oven you’ll so glad you put that little effort in.
You’ll need (for 4 people):
- 2 large spaghetti squashes, cut in half, seeds removed
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 2/3 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce (store bought or homemade)
- 8 ounces (2 cups) grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil
- Optional garnish: fresh basil, red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place squash on parchment lined baking sheets and rub a teaspoon of olive oil in each one. Season with salt/pep. Roasted for 40-60 minutes until cooked and easily pierced with a fork.
- Prepare mushrooms: heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add two cloves garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and sauté 5-8 minutes. Season mushrooms with salt/pep. You want the mushrooms to be super reduced so they don’t release mixture in oven. Scrape mushrooms into bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the spinach: in same pan you used for the mushrooms heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add two remaining cloves garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Add spinach cook until wilted. Set aside.
- Once squash is done baking, fluff interiors with a fork. Divide spinach, mushrooms, parmesan and sprinkling of salt across the spaghetti squash and stir into spaghetti (squash).
- Pour half a cup of marinara over each squash half spreading across the top. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over squash halves.
- Bake squash boats for 20 minutes until cheese just starts to brown. Sprinkle basil and red pepper flakes serve- careful it’s hot!
Inspired by CookieandKate