Eggplants are such a gift they are key in so many Persian dishes and a great meat stand in when making dishes vegetarian.
It doesn’t get much simpler than this dish. Simple roasted eggplant topped with a cool tahini yogurt sauce, some fresh herbs and pistachio. Skip the knife and fork and eat it with your hands for optimum enjoyment.
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 baby eggplants
- 1.5 teaspoon salts
- 3 teaspoon sumac
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 0.25 cup chopped pistachio
- 0.25 cup tahini
- 0.5 cup plain full fat yogurt
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment.
- Cut eggplant in halve lengthwise and place cut side up on baking sheet. Using a knife, cut diamonds into eggplants (don’t pierce skin). Brush eggplants with olive oil and rub in the minced garlic. Sprinkle with salt and sumac. Roast for 30 minutes until cooked.
- Combine all ingredients for sauce. Add lemon if you think it needs to be more acidic, you can add a little water to thin it out to. Play with the tahini/yogurt ratio to get your desired flavor.
- Top cooked eggplant with sauce (any leftover is great with pita), sprinkle with mint, pistachio and sumac.
Inspired by UnicornsInTheKitchen