I love fresh berries in my cake over the summer. The raspberries bring a tart brightness to this cake and are awesome with the nutty almonds and dark chocolate. The biscotti is totally random (don’t judge me) and something I happened to have at home- a lot of grocery stories have biscotti near the cookie section and often you can grab just one. It gets ground up like a flour (I just smooshed it in a bag) and gives little soft chocolately pockets in the cake.
You would think the almonds would weigh the cake down but it actually makes it lighter. The biggest pro of this cake is that it comes together super fast which is key in the summer when I just want to be outside (and cuddling Leila).
- 175 g butter, room temp
- 175 grams powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150 grams self-rising flour
- 50 grams ground biscotti*
- 150 grams ground almonds
- 50 grams dark chocolate**
- 200 grams raspberries***
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Optional garnish: whipped mascarpone, powdered sugar
*I used one large chocolate almond biscotti but you can use whatever flavor you like.
**I think chopped dark chocolate would be ideal but I used a mix of chocolate chips and chocolate chunks because that’s what I had at home
***If you use frozen raspberries be extra careful folding in so they don’t break apart although that’s not the end of the world
- Grease a spring form pan and set oven temp to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand up mixer beat butter, sugar, eggs, almonds, flour, salt and almond extract until just combined. Fold in ground biscotti, most of dark chocolate and most of raspberries (saving some for the top).
- Pour in pan, top with remaining chocolate and raspberries and bake for one hour. Best eaten day it’s made. Optional to sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with whipped mascarpone.
Inspired by WaitRose