We’re in that awkward phase where we are too burnt out from the holidays to cook anymore but really want healthy homemade food. I RARELY say this but I need a brief break from cheese (the alcohol detox has been forced on me for seven months already so can cross that one off the normal January to do list).
This dish is the perfect post holiday meal. The broth is so flavorful and comforting (with a little heat) perfect to warm you up on what have suddenly become annoyingly cold days (winter wonderlands are beautiful until January 1st and then should promptly end in my opinion).
If you buy grated carrots and pre-sliced mushrooms (and even if you don’t) this comes together in 20 minutes. Using a micro plane for the garlic and ginger speeds things up too. The only vegetable you have to actually prep is the pepper (and you could leave it out)… otherwise everything just gets dumped in one pot. And the result is beautiful. Clean and super filling from the tofu, rice noodles and veggies.
- 8 ounces rice noodles (I used brown rice noodles…. curious how zoodles would do here… report back if any takers)
- 8 ounces sliced mushroom (I used pre-sliced cremini)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 0.75 cups grated carrots
- 3 tablespoons oil (I used coconut)
- 4 garlic cloves, grated (I used a micro plane, you could also mince)
- 2.5 tablespoons red curry paste
- 0.75 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2” piece of ginger grated (I used a micro plane, you could also mince)
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and cubed
- Optional garnish: sliced thai chili, cilantro and lime for garnish
- Heat oil in large pot (like a dutch oven) over medium-high heat. Add ginger and sauté 30 seconds. Add garlic and red curry paste and sauté 30 seconds. Add red pepper and sauté 1 minute. Add vegetable broth, cover and bring to boil.
- Once broth has boiled remove lid, add coconut milk, honey and salt and bring to boil again. Add noodles, tofu and mushrooms and stir to combine. Cook, uncovered for 4-5 minutes. Stir in carrots. Taste and check for seasoning. Serve with optional garnishes.
Inspired by OhMyVeggies