I know this time of year it’s all about the cookies and the hot chocolate but rain or shine, summer or winter my commitment to kale does not change. The pomegranate seeds make this one appropriately festive and the rich, thick dressing makes this a stick to your bones kind of salad. I love using yogurt dressings with kale… kale is tough and it needs a lot of flavor and love to make it taste good and be friends with my stomach. This dressing is zingy and bright with the sumac and lemon juice and the dried mint gives it that extra middle eastern touch. This would be great alongside my pomegranate salmon!
- 2 bunches lacinato kale, chopped, large stems removed
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 0.75 cup greek yogurt (use vegan yogurt if that’s your spirit)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 0.5 tablespoon sumac
- 0.5 teaspoon dried mint (I used spearmint)
- Zest and juice of one small lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients. Ideally, let sit in fridge for hour to let flavors become friends. It’s okay if this does not happen.
- Add kale to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle a pinch of salt on it. Massage kale for a few seconds. Toss kale with dressing, the dressing is thick so toss like you mean it. Toss with pomegranate seeds and walnuts.