These are basically an excuse to eat a cookie for breakfast and to pretend like that cookie is actually a vegetable. Between the zucchini and the banana these are super moist and have the texture of banana bread way more than of a regular chocolate chunk cookie.
With the oat flour and the rolled oats these really feel like a portable gluten-free breakfast. And if you use dairy-free chocolate chunks the whole situation is dairy-free. The batter can seem a little runny for cookies but trust me it all works out. So get your greens in and make these little gems!
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoons apple sauce (I used unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup oat flour, firmly packed
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 0.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 cup rolled oats
- 0.75 cup grated zucchini
- 0.5 cup chocolate chunks (use dairy free to keep dairy free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place mashed banana in large bowl. Beat in egg. Add honey, applesauce and vanilla and combine. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and stir until just combined. The dough will seem pretty wet/soupy. It should seem just firm enough to make pancake like blobs on the baking sheet. If it seems soupy-er than that add a little more oat flour.
- Fold in oats, zucchini and chocolate chunks. Set dough in fridge for ten minutes.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, place blobs of dough on the baking sheet- I let mine stay pretty free form but you could try to shape them up a little nicer. Bake for 11 minutes.
Inspired by LifeMadeSweeter