These are THE veggie tacos. Not to mention my new favorite way to eat cauliflower.
Which is saying a lot because I’ve transformed cauliflower into couscous salads and risotto and pizza crust…
You batter up the cauliflower the way you would when making chicken parmesan but with gluten free/vegan versions of batter and breading loaded with spices.
Then, instead of frying the cauliflower up you bake it in the oven… the result is this really crispy exterior, perfectly cooked entire cauliflower that is hard not devour before transferring them to their taco destinies.
A little pickled radish, guac and cilantro later and you have a killer veggie taco.
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin’0.5 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup almond milk (or other milk)
- 0.5 cup brown rice flour
- Juice of 1 lime
- For Pickled Cabbage
- ½ small red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 0.5 cup red wine vinegar
- .25 cup water
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
- 12 small tortillas (I used GF Corn Tortillas)
- 1 cup guacamole
- 0.5 cup cilantro leaves
- Optional: Extra lime wedges, pickled radish, cojita cheese
- Make the pickled cabbage: whisk together the vinegar, water and sugar in a Tupperware container with a lid. Add the cabbage, put lid on, and shake to combine. Let pickle for at least 30 minutes, give the container a shake or flip over once or twice. Can be done well in advance.
- Make the cauliflower: Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, combine almond meal, spices and salt/pep.
- In another bowl, mix together almond milk, brown rice flour and milk.
- Dred the cauliflower florets in the wet mixture, a few at a time, then toss battered florets in dry mixture with a fork. Transfer to baking sheet and repeat with remaining florets.
- Bake cauliflower for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on outside and cooked through on inside.
- While the cauliflower cooks, warm the tortillas. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat, add a tortilla and heat for a minute on each side. Set on a plate under a clean towel as you heat the rest.
- Assemble tacos: smear some guac on the base of the tortilla, add some pickled cabbage, some crispy cauliflower and some cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Inspired by FoodMattersFoodMatters