It’s not news that I love kale salads. I usually break down tuscan kale, give it a little salt massage and combat it with an intense creamy dressing. This one uses baby kale which is less intense leaving room for hearty toppings (and extra time to make margaritas). Baby kale and arugula get tossed with a light lime dressing and given some Mexican inspired love with black beans, pepitas, chili pepper, green onions, cilantro, radish and cojita cheese. The toppings to greens ratio was pretty intense but no complaints here.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 0.25 cup fresh lime juice (2-3 limes)
- 0.75 teaspoon ground cumin
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup arugula
- 2 cup baby kale*
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drain**
- 0.5 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno or red chili, diced
- 0.5 cup salted roasted pepitas
- 0.5 cup crumbled feta
- 8 radishes, thinly sliced***
- 0.5 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
*I used this kale from the farmers market that was kind of like baby kale, you can basically use any mix of greens you want
**I used the whole can but I think slightly less than the whole can would be better
***if you don’t feel like pickling the radish just add them as is
- Make the pickled radish: whisk red wine vinegar, coconut sugar and 0.25 cup water in a small bowl. Add radishes and let pickle for at least 30 minutes, tossing once or twice.
- Make the dressing: combine everything in a small bowl.
- Place the greens in a large bowl and toss with a pinch of salt. Add all the remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Add the dressing, toss to combine.
Inspired by CookieandKate