One of my favorite views…. a Spring-y, happy, florally cake. Lovely lovely lovely. The almond flour and healthy drizzle keep this cake moist giving you plenty of time to snack on all the delicate flavors including cardamom and rose water.
I know the cake/drizzle/icing trifecta seems like a lot of work but the cake is all made in one bowl… super simple and the icing is a piece of cake (bahaha). And it’s completely worth it
If you feel like the icing goes on too thin just make a little more (thicker) and spread it over the top. It doesn’t need to be perfect, all people will care about is how delicious it is.
If you’re really not feeling it though you can skip the icing and just dust with powdered sugar. Either way the cake is light and perfect. I love it… so the title lived up to the name.
- 200 grams unsalted butter, at room temp
- 150 grams sugar
- 4 medium eggs (at room temp)
- 3 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 100 grams flour
- 275 grams almond flour
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoons rose water
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 150 grams icing sugar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1 tablespoons dried rose petals (could sub pomegranate seeds)
- 1 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Flowers (optional)
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees F. Grease a spring-form pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs.
- Add cardamom, flour, almond flour, lemon zest and juice, rose water, baking powder and salt to butter/sugar/egg mixture. Mix to combine.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Towards end of baking time, make drizzle. Heat sugar, lemon juice and rose water in a saucepan under low heat until sugar melts.
- Remove cake from pan and poke holes all over top (I used a kabob stick). Pour drizzle over top of warm cake. Let cake cool completely before removing from pan and icing.
- Sift powdered sugar. Whisk in lemon juice and water until icing is thick, add more sugar or water if necessary. Spoon icing over the cake (it’s okay if it falls down the sides). Garnish with pistachios and rose petals (cover up any holes that might be showing through icing). Garnish with flowers.
Inspire by TheSaffronTales