I know this can look a little wild… extremely green pasta… but the taste is very on point. The avocado gets so creamy with the almonds and the pasta water and the result is a gorgeous and flavorful sauce. This does not end up tasting like guacamole pasta, more like an avocado pesto. I know I need to consume more avocado (that isn’t on fried tortilla) and this dish was a super yummy way to get my green (with bonus spinach) while still getting my cheesy carb fix. Plus you just throw all the sauce ingredients in a blender, toss with pasta and you’re good to go! Just know your leftovers (while still delicious) will brown as avocados do.
- 1 avocado
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1.5 cups fresh spinach
- 0.5 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Zest of half a lemon
- One pound spaghetti (I used gluten free)
- Reserved pasta water
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 2 cups pasta water.
- Meanwhile, combine avocado, almonds, garlic, spinach, 0.25 cup parmesan cheese and lemon juice in a blender until very well combined. Add in quarter cups of pasta water until sauce is the consistency you would like… I used 0.75 cups total. Season to taste with salt/pep.
- Toss pasta with avocado sauce… I like to toss a little pasta with a little sauce at a time so I know I have the right sauce to pasta ratio. Garnish with lemon zest and remaining parmesan. Serve immediately, leftovers will brown.
Inspired by JoCooks