The Persian New Year (Nowruz) is right around the corner! Legend has it sugar was discovered on Nowruz which makes these cookies perfect for celebrating. Nan-e Badami means almond cookie but I feel like these gems need a more elaborate title like “Insanely Light and Delicious Cookies Packed with Flavors of Rose Water, Almonds and Cardamom That are Somehow Gluten Free Dairy Free and Oil Free. I think you can tell I loved these… and with essentially five ingredients and less than ten minutes to make… what’s not to love? Happy Nowruz!
- 2 egg whites
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- 4 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- Optional for garnish: chopped almonds, dried rose petals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an electric beater with the whisk attachment beat egg whites, sugar, salt and rose water until frothy.
- In a small bowl whisk together almond flour and cardamom.
- Fold almond/cardamom mixture into wet mixture.
- Using a small ice cream scoop (or your hands) scoop dough and drop on baking sheet leaving 2-3 inches between cookies. Smoosh some chopped almonds and rose petals on top of each cookie for garnish
- Bake cookies for 15-20 minutes until tops are lightly golden. Will keep for several days in an air-tight container.