One of the things I love about this sandwich is it never makes you choose. Your grilled vegetable of choice knows no limits which lets this sando stay in season all year round. Grilled summer squash would be glorious… on a picnic even (remember picnics?… those things where you eat outside on grass that isn’t covered in brown sludgy snow).
I do love the butternut squash with the basil-y ricotta… it reminded me of the Butternut Squash and Basil Lasagna I posted a few years ago. You can serve this warm or at room temperature but warmed up takes this to the next level.
You’ll need (for two):
- 2 Turano French Rolls
- 1 cup Ricotta
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- I small butternut squash, neck only, peeled and sliced 0.25” thick
- 1 cup arugula
- 5 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, basil, chives, garlic, two tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pep. Set aside.*
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the sliced squash with olive oil, salt and pep. Grill the sliced squash, flipping when grill marks appears and the squash has softened, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.*
- Slice the bread down the middle and brush cut sides with olive oil. Place on baking sheet and warm in oven for 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread ricotta mixture on all cut sides. Top the bottom bread slices with grilled squash and arugula then drizzle with balsamic glaze. Place top slices on top of arugula and place back in oven for 1 minutes just to them warm through. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*Can be made up to one day in advance
Holy smokes this sounds fantastic. I think I’ll add turkey since my hubby is a total carnivore. Yum yum yum I can’t wait to try this 🙂
Thanks so much- I hope you guys enjoy!