As I reflect on the holidays these past few weeks I think of all the things in life that are important to me. My family, my friends, health, happiness and yogurt. While I eat obscene amounts of yogurt I have a New Years resolution, as I do every year, to eat even more yogurt in 2017.
While we Americans love a sweetened or fruity yogurt, and the Greeks have Tzatziki, Persians have 203958238524 types of yogurt dips taking their yogurt dedication to another lvel. Yogurt that can be devoured with bread or vegetables as an appetizer or with stews and kabobs. It’s the universal accompaniment to pretty much any food or spoon if you’re feeling aggressive.
Mast-O-Khiar literally means yogurt with cucumber but there is so much else going on in here with the herbs/garlic and walnut/raisin combo. Regardless, this is a healthy dip to start 2017 off on a yummy Persian note.
- 4 Persian cucumbers or 1 long seedless, peeled and diced
- 0.5 cup green raisins, divided
- 3 cups plain whole milk drained yogurt*
- 0.25 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 0.25 cup plus one tablespoon walnuts, chopped
*Just make sure you use a thick yogurt like Greek yogurt and don’t get Fat Free. 2% or above is fine.
- In a serving bowl, combine cucumbers, 0.25 cup raisins, , yogurt, green onions, mint, dill, oregano, thyme, garlic and 0.25 cup walnuts. Stir and season to taste with salt/pep.
- Cover and refrigerate 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with dill or mint, raisins and walnuts. Serve with vegetables, bread or as alongside a meal.*
*Can be made and kept in the refrigerator for several days
Inspired by Food of Life
Pingback: Vegan Khoresht Gheymeh (Persian Split Pea Stew with Fries) | Roxana's Kitchen
Pingback: Easy Homemade Naan Bread | Roxana's Kitchen