I have loved loved loved this mild Fall weather we’ve been having… but…. there is the tiniest tiniest bit of me that wants to curl up by a fire with a giant bowl of comfort food. Such as a big bubbling skillet of lasagna… without all the work of layering and assembling. This lasagna gets a nice hit of veggies to balance out the creamy, cheesy lasagna. In most pasta dishes I like to make all the sauces myself, and you are welcome to here, but when it comes to lasagna I’m okay with a few cheater moves with store bought (still buy the good stuff guys) sauces.
Everything is made in the skillet… it feels a bit weird breaking up the lasagna noodles and shoving them in there but the end result feels just like regular lasagna. And by regular lasagna I mean super flavorful, easy, cheesy, hearty lasagna perfect for a cool Fall night.
- Olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 ounces tomato pasta sauce
- 2/3 cup full-fat coconut milk (or whole milk)
- Red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup sundried tomato pesto
- 6 ounces no boil lasagna noodles
- 1 cup fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 4 ounces provolone, shredded
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil; add zucchini, mushrooms and red pepper. Season with salt/pep. Cook for 5-8 minutes until cooked down.
- Add garlic and cook another minute. Stir in tomato sauce, milk and red pepper flake. Stir in pesto.
- Break each lasagna noodles into a few pieces and start tucking into sauce. Try to get a lot to the bottom of the pan. This will feel weird try to get a decent amount in there… if it starts to seem dry add more tomato sauce and coconut milk. If you can’t get all the noodles in there don’t sweat it. Let cook for about 10-15 minutes, they will soften.
- Stir in basil, provolone and half of parmesan (again, will feel a little weird but it will work). Top with remaining parmesan and slices of mozzarella.
- Bake lasagna in oven for 10 minutes. Let sit under a broiler for a little, watching the entire time, until the lasagna is browned on top how you like. Garnish with sliced basil.
Inspired by HalfBakedHarvest