IT’S SOUP SEASON! And it’s the most fun soup season of all since it includes lovely Fall ingredients like squash, maple syrup and nutmeg. I love easy soups like this where everything essentially gets roasted, pureed and is ready to go. The sweetness of the squash is great with a little tangy feta and creamy coconut milk. Feel free to substitute pumpkin, honey, chicken stock, regular cream or goat cheese. Leave the cheese out entirely and you have a vegan situation going on. Either way the result will be a super cozy/delicious soup to curl up with on a Fall evening.
- 3.75 pounds of peeled, cubed butternut squash
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 0.25 cup maple syrup
- 0.25 cup olive oil
- 3.5 cups vegetarian stock
- 0.25 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 0.5 cup coconut cream
- 0.5 cup crumbled feta
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place the squash, onion and garlic on a large baking sheet (or two if you need two). Toss with maple syrup, olive oil, salt and pep. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Peel garlic. Place squash/onion/garlic mixture, stock and nutmeg in a large stock pot. Bring to boil then remove from heat. Puree. Season to taste with salt/pep. Serve with a drizzle of coconut cream and crumbled feta.