I’ve always thought aromatherapy was made up until lavender entered my life. It is physically impossible to be unhappy when surrounded by lavender. I love how everything lavender touches holds onto the scent too. My hands smelled like lavender all day after making these beauties.
Lavender anything is good but lavender madeleines? My favorite little cake/cookie/spongy things? These are a new favorite times infinity.
You’ll need (for 12 good sized madeleine):
For the madeleines:
- 0.5 cup flour
- 0.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup caster (superfine) sugar*
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
- 2 eggs
- 80 grams unsalted butter, melted, slightly cooled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For lavender sugar (for sprinkling on top, you’ll probably have a little more sugar than you need):
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried lavender
*I just blitzed my regular cane sugar in a food processor for a second so it became “superfine” sugar, you could also just use regular sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine sugar and lavender in a small bowl, rubbing the lavender into the sugar.
- Sift the flour, superfine sugar and baking powder into a bowl. Whisk in lavender. Add eggs, butter, honey and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Spray a madeleine tin lightly with cooking spray. Spoon the batter into the tin. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Let cool slightly in tin, move madeleines to parchment paper to finish cooling and sprinkle with lavender sugar.
Inspired by donnahay