I know it’s insane but I have holiday cookie ideas rolling through my brain all year round (even on hot summer days- it’s a problem). I’ve been on the hunt for a cutout cookie dough recipe in chocolate form. I have my go to sugar cookie recipe I use for the holidays/any other occasion that calls for a cookie cutter- but I’m a chocoholic at heart.
I made these a few different ways and I liked them best when they were soft and a little thick. If that’s your style make sure you don’t overcook them, if you like a crispier cookie give it a few more minutes in the oven. You could make the dough up to a day in advance (and leave in the fridge) just give it 10 minutes or so to sit at room temp so it’s easier to roll out. I drizzled white chocolate on these but feel free to frost your face off. Since these were a test I just used a biscuit cutter to make circles but these are ideal for fun cookie cutter shapes. This will definitely be stealing the spotlight from my sugar cookie making this year.
- 1.5 cup flour
- 0.75 cup unsweetened coco powder
- 1.25 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 0.75 cup butter, softened
- 1.25 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- Optional: 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, instant coffee and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together.
- Cream together the butter and sugar for a few minutes. Beat in egg. Beat in vanilla. Slowly stir in dry mixture. It might take a second but a dough will form. Dump half the dough onto plastic wrap, wrap up and place in the fridge. Repeat with remaining dough. Let sit in fridge for two hours or up to one day.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. If the dough feels hard when you take it out of the fridge let sit at room temp for 5-10 minutes so it’s easy to roll. Roll dough out to desired thickness, I liked ¼ inch thick on a floured surface. Make sure you are using plenty of flour on rolling pin too. Cut cookies into desired shapes. Move cookies to a parchment lined baking sheet (you might want to use a spatula).
- Bake for 8 minutes. Allow to cool ten minutes before moving to a wire rack. Meanwhile, melt white chocolate in double boiler.
- Once cookies have cooled, drizzle melted white chocolate over cookies with a fork. Let cool.
Inspired by AllRecipes
Pingback: Chocolate-Flecked Whiskey and Rye Cookies | Roxana's Kitchen