This is the salad of my summer. I love hearty kale salads with lots of toppings and creamy dressings. I make them year round and summer is no exception. This Greek Yogurt Lemon dressing gives a lightened up feel to my kale addiction. You still have the creamy factor going on but a lighter situation than a Ceaser or tahini dressing.
If you were just making this for yourself you could leave out the toppings but the toasted bread crumbs and parmesan make this good enough for company. You can prep the bread crumbs, parmesan (it’s best to coarsely grate it in a food processor) and dressing a few days in advance and toss when it’s time for dinner. You can toss it up to an hour before dinner but anything longer than that will result in soggy bread crumbs which no one wants. This salad is a kale convertor so if you’ve been hesitant to serve a kale salad in the past this is the game changer.
- 6 cups fresh kale, finely chopped
- 0.75 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Bread Crumbs (optional):
- 6 slices of bread (I used sourdough but any bread would work)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 0.25 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used full fat)
- 0.25 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey or a mix of syrup and honey)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients vigorously. Can make ahead and keep in the fridge for several days in an air tight container.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place bread on baking sheet and bake until dry and crusty, roughly 20 minutes. Break into pieces and pulse in a food processor until crumb like.
- Toss bread crumbs with melted butter, salt and pep. Spread on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes. Let cool. Can be made in advance and kept in zip lock bags for several days.
- Place kale in a large bowl. Massage with a light sprinkling of salt. Toss with dressing (add a little at a time until you have the desired amount). Toss with most of the parmesan and bread crumbs (reserving some for garnish). Garnish with remaining parmesan and bread crumbs.
Inspired by CupcakesandKaleChips