I love a solid pumpkin pie and truthfully you could make this one without the chocolate and you’re looking at a legit pumpkin pie with a gingersnap crust. However, if you’re looking to switch it up AND (this is mandatory) you love Nutella then this is the pie for you.
- 1.5 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3 large eggs, at room temp
- 15 ounce can pumpkin
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- 0.5 cup packed brown sugar (I used dark)
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 0.5 teaspoon ground ginger
- 0.25 teaspoon ground cloves
- 0.25 teaspoon nutmeg (ideally freshly grated)
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 cup Nutella*
*you can try other chocolate-hazelnut spreads but I find they are not as runny and as spreadable as Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray pie dish with nonstick spray (mine was 9”).
- Combine cookie crumbs, butter and sugar and press into prepared pie dish. Do not press super far up the sides of the dish, halfway is plenty. Bake for 10 minutes and allow to slightly cool.
- In large bowl lightly whisk eggs. Add remaining ingredients (except Nutella) and stir to combine. Pour over pie crust.
- Warm Nutella: I just microwaved for 30 seconds. Drop spoonfuls of Nutella on dough and swirl gently with knife. I was very careful to not overswirl and I think I went too far the other way because it could have used a bit more swirling or maybe a bit less Nutella. Follow your heart- you can’t really go wrong.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the filling set. The center will still look wet but will not jiggle too much. Let cool completely and serve at room temp. Good for 4 days covered and stored in fridge.
Inspired by SallysBakingAddiction