My bod is in full Fall mode craving all things orange, cinnamon and spice. I could devour a loaf of pumpkin bread in one sitting which is why I needed a healthy Fall snack. These cookies use roasted squash but you could easily use canned pumpkin if you don’t feel like roasting a whole squash. However, the leftover squash mixed with a little butter/salt/pep is really glorious.
These are 24 hour cookies because they are appropriate for every meal of the day and as a snack in between. They are loaded with oats, flax seed, healthy fats, natural sweetener and Fall spices. If you use vegan chocolate chips these are vegan and gluten-free— Fall food binging you can feel good about.
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt (I use Himalayan)
- 1 small butternut squash
- 0.25 cup coconut oil, melted
- 0.25 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 0.5 cup vegan chocolate chips (or a mix of chocolate chips, dried fruit and nuts)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice squash in half and remove seeds. Rub lightly with olive oil and place flesh side up on a baking sheet. Bake 50-60 minutes until tender. Scoop out one cup worth of squash and set aside. (Mix the leftover squash with a little butter/salt/pep for a great side dish). If you really don’t want to deal with the squash you can use 1 cup of canned pumpkin.
- Change oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl stir together flax and water and set aside for ten minutes before using.
- In a large bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl whisk all the wet ingredients. Add flax mixture to wet ingredients and stir.
- Add wet mixture to bowl with dry ingredients and stir. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop cookie dough (I used about a tablespoon) onto baking sheet. Wet hand and smoosh cookies slightly. Bake for 18 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before eating. Keeps well in an air tight container.
Inspired by thecolorfulkitchen
Thank you! Loving all the Fall food 🧡.