I’ve tried a lot of vegan pesto and most the time they just end up tasting like herb heavy vinaigrette. Avocado is the game changing ingredient here bringing richness and creaminess sans cheese. This would be great with veggies, fishes or a spoon but makes a super simple pasta. I added in cherry tomatoes and arugula but any extra veggies would be good.
- 2 avocados
- Juice of a large lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 0.5 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces pasta (I used chickpea rotini)
- 8 ounces arugula
- 1.5 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quarted
- Combine all pesto ingredients and blend well until combined, scraping down as needed.
- Cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions. Toss with pesto, arugula and cherry tomatoes.