The Persian side of me wants to put pistachio on everything. The American side of me wants chocolate cookies. And I’m pretty sure both sides of me wants flaky sea salt. Tada- Salted Pistachio Chocolate Cookie.
This is a soft chewy super decadent cookie with the two hits of chocolate from the powder and the chunks. The pistachio stands up to the chocolate but doesn’t take over and adds those pretty specks of green.
These are simple enough for any occasion but special enough for Valentine’s Day… so up your nut/cookie game with pistachios and sea salt and you’ll be the most loved!
You’ll need (for 25 good sized cookies):
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 0.5 teaspoon sea salt
- 0.75 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar (I used light)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- 1 cup chopped pistachios
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling on cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a few baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and cocao.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar and brown sugar for a few minutes until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
- Gradually beat in dry mixture to wet mixture until just combined (or slightly under combined- you’ll stir more in next steps). Stir in chocolate chips and pistachios (I saved some pistachios to press on top of cookies so you can see them).
- Scoop cookie dough onto prepared sheets with ice cream scoop leaving at least 2 inches between cookies. Smoosh a few more chopped pistachio on top of cookies. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes or until set but still soft in center. Let cool before devouring. Keeps well in an air tight container for several days.
Inspired by TwoPeasAndTheirPod