I’ve been really trying to get more broccoli in my bod which is no easy feat. Let alone raw broccoli. I’m into roasted broccoli but this is truly the first time I’ve enjoyed raw broccoli. I never thought I’d see the day.
But this salad is ADDICTIVE. The key is chopping the broccoli up (no one wants large bites of raw broccoli) and being aggressive with the other ingredients. I don’t usually use vegan cheese but I feel like in a salad like this you can get away with it… I used an almond based vegan mozzarella that’s actually decent. I wish I had doubled the batch because it tasted better every time I reached for a bite out of the fridge and I kept patting myself on the back for snacking on raw broccoli. This will become a regular for me!
- 12 ounces broccoli florets
- 0.5 cup sunflower seeds, roasted and salted
- ½ a small red onion, finely chopped
- 0.5 cup grated cheese (I used vegan mozzarella)
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
- 1 large garlic clove, minced or grated
- Finely chop the broccoli, each floret should be cut into six pieces, you don’t want big chunks. Place in large bowl with onion.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey and garlic in a small bowl. Season with salt/pep.
- Pour dressing over broccoli/onion mixture and stir well. Stir in cheese and sunflower seeds.
- Let sit 20 minutes… the salad gets better the longer it sits and will keep well for 4 days in the fridge.
Inspired by CookieandKate