While I want to post cookie recipes pretty much every day between now and Christmas I should sneak in a few vegetable posts every now and then. This veggie/polenta bowl is an easy way to get a variety of veggies in a very warming and satisfying dish.
A lovely bowl of polenta, nice and creamy from a hit of goat cheese, topped with roasted veggies flavored with rosemary and garlic. The veggies all get roasted on one pan and you can definitely choose your own adventure with the types of veggies you use. I know there isn’t a ton of balsamic in here but don’t leave it out because it adds a lot of flavors to the veg. The whole meal comes together in under thirty minutes making it a solid go-to for a weeknight meal after a chilly Chicago day.
- 1 cup corn grits or polenta
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 3 bell peppers (I used 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 orange), seeded and diced
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 0.5 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 small zucchini, cut into 1” chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- A few tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or use melted coconut oil)
- 0.25 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss peppers, tomatoes, onion, olive oil and salt/pep on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 15-20 minutes until beginning to soften and brown.
- Remove pan from oven, add zucchini, garlic, rosemary and balsamic vinegar and toss to combine. Put back in the oven for an additional ten minutes or until veggies are all slightly tender and cooked to your liking.
- While the veggies cook, bring three cups of water to a bowl with a pinch of salt. Add the polenta and whisk until smooth. Simmer for 15 minutes until polenta has thickened up a bit. Remove from heat. Add goat cheese, salt/pep and stir until smooth.
- Scoop a nice pile of polenta into a bowl and top with the roasted veggies (and a little juice from the baking pan the veggies were on). Garnish with pine nuts and an extra drizzle of olive oil if that’s your spirit. Serve immediately.
Inspired by FamilyStyleFood