Here we are again… another giant kale salad I make on Sunday and chomp on for days- Fall edition. Here, an obscene amount of kale gets a tangy, mustardy dressing that is perfect with apples and walnuts. I normally pile creamy dressings on kale… while this dressing is lighter it has a lot going on with shallot, garlic, lemon, honey, vinegar and two types of mustard. If you want to get really wild use candied walnuts instead of mere roasted ones. Some crumbled aged cheddar would also be a good add on.
- 3 bunches lacinato kale, chopped, large stems removed
- 1 granny smith apple (or apple of your choice)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- Juice of one large lemon
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 0.5 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
- Thinly slice apple and toss with lemon juice to avoid browning.
- Add kale to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle a pinch of salt on it. Massage kale for a few seconds.
- Add dressing to kale, a little at a time, until kale is dressed to your liking.
- Toss kale with half of the walnuts and apples. Top with remaining walnuts and apples.
Inspired by ahouseinthehills