First, it snowed in Chicago yesterday- you deserve this oatmeal. Second, I consume a lot of oatmeal regardless of weather. It’s often some sort of sad oat/water/microwave situation. As I ate this creamy banana/oat heaven I realized how crazy it is that I ever settle for the mealy mush I normally make. I neeeeed to up my weekday oatmeal game. If this delicious dish doesn’t motivate me nothing will.
You’ll need (for two servings):
- 1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 0.5 cup water
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 0.5 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 overripe mashed banana
- 1 additional banana for garnish, sliced (optional)
- 1-3 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar*
- 0.5 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 0.5 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter**
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted (aggressively toasted)
*choose your sweetness level according to banana sweetness and overall mood
**butter in oatmeal?… not sorry
- In a medium saucepan bring the water and milk to a boil (just barely to a boil). Reduce heat to medium low and stir in oats, buttermilk, mashed banana, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cook five more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and butter. Cover with a lid and let rest three minutes.
- Portion oatmeal among two bowls. Serve warm topped with walnuts and sliced banana.
Inspired by CookingClassy