I love these muffins, I love this new home, I love eating these muffins in this new home.
Chocolate, cinnamon and espresso are best friends in this breakfast/dessert treat. There is a tender inside from the buttermilk and a crunchy top from the turbinado sugar. Pairs well with coffee, berries and a comfy blanket on a new couch.
You’ll need (for 12 muffins):
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 0.75 cup sugar
- 0.5 cup cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 cup buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons melted butter, cooled*
- 2 eggs
- Turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top
*make sure you really really let the butter cool
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with liners.
- Sift into a large mixing bowl the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, espresso and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk, butter and eggs. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. You’ll have a nice thick batter.
- Portion the batter into the muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cool in a pan for five minutes, the transfer to a wire rack to cool completely (or eat warm!).
Inspired by Healthy-Delicious