This recipe is definitely a new favorite.
I partnered with Del Viejo Datil Pepper Salsa which is delicious all on its own but over the top in these stuffed eggplants.
These beauties are protein packed, healthy and super flavorful.
I scooped out the eggplants and combined the eggplant meat with quinoa, parsley, Del Veijo Datil Pepper Salsa and, of course, cheese.
And then topped it with more cheese, baking until bubbly and golden. The salsa gives the eggplant a dose of heat and a depth of flavor that take these over the top.
- 2 baby eggplants
- 0.75 cup Del Viejo Datil Pepper Salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used part-skim mozzarella)
- 0.25 cup chopped parsley
- 0.5 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable stock (can sub chicken stock or water)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sided casserole dish with parchment paper.
- Mix quinoa and stock in a saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cover. Let simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit an additional 5 minutes covered. Fluff with fork and set aside.
- Slice off the top of the eggplants and cut in half. Using a knife, cut around the edges to remove the eggplant meat. You want to leave roughly a half inch border. I found it easiest to mark a border around the edge of the eggplant and then scoop out the meat with a spoon.
- Cube the eggplant meat and place in a bowl with the quinoa. Add the salsa, 0.5 cup of the shredded cheese, most of the parsley (reserve a little for garnish), salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Scoop mixture into the hallowed eggplants. You can pack them pretty aggressively. Cover with the remaining cheese.
- Cover the eggplant with aluminum foil making sure to tent so it does not touch the cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until cheese is browned. If needed, place under the broiler for a minute to achieve desired color. Garnish with parsley.
cheesy eggplant is my favorite! I can’t wait to try this recipe, Roxana. You make it look so easy 😉
Thanks Parker! 🙂
Love that this recipe is so easy and heathy to boot! I’ve been trying to eat more vegetarian meals and this is perfect. Plus I have a big eggplant in the refrig right now that needs to be cooked. I think I’ll make this for lunch tomorrow 😉
Great! You will have to let me know how you like it (it’s so good!)- thanks for sharing!