I could probably sum my holiday food season up in two words- cookies and snacks. Today’s focus is on the latter with a rockstar hummus recipe. I partnered with Bollito’s Tuscan Red Sauce which is a fruity, tangy, mild hot sauce that was best friends with the pomegranate molasses in this recipe.
I used four tablespoons of Tuscan Red Sauce in this recipe but I strongly encourage you to add a little at a time, tasting as you go, so you get your desired level of heat.
Overall, this recipe turned out sweet and tangy with a little underlying heat. Pomegranate seeds (aka food glitter) give this snack a festive feel while nodding to the pomegranate molasses in the hummus. Sidebar- turns out pomegranate molasses is regularly available now which is great news.
I also have to confess that I peeled my chickpeas. You by no means have to be as hummus perfection obsessed as I am but it does yield an especially creamy hummus. For more information on peeling chickpeas see this post.
If you’ve been looking to send a foodie friend a little holiday love, print out this recipe and send it to them with a bottle of this hot sauce elixir. You can purchase Tuscan Red Sauce at www.bollitos.co. There is also a list of locations that carry the sauce including Publican Quality Meats aka foodie paradise. Just don’t be mad at me when you want to buy everything in the store.
- 2 15.5 oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained (optional: and peeled)- reserve a tablespoon for garnish if desired
- 2/3 cup tahini
- 1 garlic clove, minced or grated
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons Tuscan Red Sauce (to taste)
- 1.5-2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or more to taste, plus more for garnish)
- Salt (to taste)
- For garnish (optional): extra chickpeas, pomegranate arils, red pepper flakes, olive oil
- Combine chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice and pomegranate molasses in food processor on high. Scrape down sides as needed
- Add Tuscan Red Sauce or hot sauce a little at a time until you have reached your desired level of heat.
- With the mixer on low, drizzle in olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt. Place hummus in bowl. Garnish with chickpeas, pomegranate arils, red pepper flakes and olive oil. Serve with crudité/pita/crackers.