Shaved broccoli is a thing. I’m never trying to eat hunks of raw broccoli. By shaving it you end up with tiny sprinklings throughout the salad that sneakily trick you into eating a lot of broccoli. I used a mandolin for the broccoli/Brussels sprouts. You could slice them super thin by hand but that sounds terrible and it’s probably not worth it.
Usually, I make giant salads that I can eat a ton of but this one is better enjoyed in small quantities. It is a LOT of raw green veg, the dressing is pretty heavy to balance it out but still, take it is easy and enjoy in moderation.
Fun fact: this is a copycat salad from the Allis at Soho House. Not only do they have a shaved broccoli salad, they have several ping pong tables upstairs where I can often be found in a very very very (can’t emphasize enough) serious battle.
Inspired by BloggingOverThyme
- 1 large bunch of kale (I used Tuscan)
- 1/3 lb broccoli
- 1/3 lb Brussels Sprouts
- 3 whole large egg yolks (I used pasteurized)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (or 2 minced anchovies)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Remove ribs from the kale, then discard ribs. Chop kale leaves into ribbons. Transfer the chopped kale to a large bowl. Sprinkle a small pinch of sea salt over the kale and massage the leaves with your hands by lightly scrunching big handfuls at a time, until the leaves are darker in color. This takes some of the bitterness out.
- Using a mandolin, “shave” your broccoli and Brussels. The shaved broccoli florets get sprinkled throughout the salad. I shaved some of the stalks too and sliced. Combine veggies in large bowl.
- In medium bowl, whisk eggs. Add garlic, anchovy, mustard and lemon juice. Whisk to combine. Slowly (very slowly!) whisk in olive oil. Add parmesan. Season with salt/pep.
- Toss veggies with dressing. Add as much additional parmesan as your spirit wants.
this looks yummy yum yum. making ASAP.