I love indulging when I’m out of town but coming home this Sunday night I needed something healthy, healing and fast. This curry sneaks in some veggies under a creamy blanked of curry spiced coconut milk. With the protein from the chickpeas (and quinoa if you use it) you’ll feel recharged and ready for the week. Using canned chickpeas makes this come together in less than 30 minutes but if you have the spirit for it soak dried chickpeas overnight and this dish will be that much more satisfying.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced small
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 handfuls of greens (I used half baby spinach and half baby kale), roughly chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes or more to taste
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 can coconut milk*
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
*I actually think this needed an extra quarter cup of milk but I didn’t want to open up an additional can… if you have it though throw it in
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over low heat. Add onion and sauté one minute. Add carrots and red bell pepper and sauté an additional five minutes. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and curry and sauté two minutes.
- Add coconut milk, chickpeas and parsley and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Add lemon juice and greens. Stir and cover for a minute until greens are wilted. Season to taste with salt/pep and additional red pepper flakes. Great served with quinoa or rice.
Inspired by WithFoodandLove