Summer produce! What better way to eat it in than in a cake am I right? Especially those cute little strawberries you get at the farmers market that are so sweet and amazing and light years away from the giant winter strawberries that are not nearly as tasty. It’s tough not to devour them all… as well as the juicy peaches that ended up in this cake. Mine were quite ripe which led to a pretty wet cake… a little less ripe might have been better but I’m not about to waste peaches.
We just got a farmers market in West Loop (this neighborhood making me happier every day)… it’s small but mighty and insanely convenient. Plus… it’s bound to grow… my purchases alone will likely double its size by July.
While I never say no to a dense piece of chocolate cake… on a warm day a light piece like this… gluten free, naturally sweetened, moist from yogurt and scented with lemon and fresh fruit… nothing’s better.
- 2.5 cups lightly packed almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 0.5 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- 0.5 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 0.5 teaspoon almond extract
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- 0.25 cup olive oil
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 1 cup strawberries, stems removed*
- Powdered sugar, for dusting on top (optional)
*I used really small strawberries, whole. If yours are big slice in half or quarters.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a spring-form pan. In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together yogurt, honey, eggs, both extracts and lemon zest. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Fold in olive oil.
- Pour batter into pan, smoothing the top. Scatter half the peaches and strawberries over the top, smooshing down a little.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove and scatter remaining peaches and strawberries over top. Place back in oven and bake another 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Inspired by Goop