I am obsessed with this dish. You basically make the sauce in advance and just sear the fish and warm up the sauce when it’s time eat. It’s super buttery and filling while still feeling light and healthy with the hearty beans, seared fish and butter tomato sauce. Some bread for sauce sopping and a light salad and you have a perfect dinner.
A few things about cooking the halibut. I like to pat them good and dry and season one side with salt/pep. Place the fish season side down in the pan and then season the other side. You can mess with the cook times if your fish pieces are a little bigger. Have the plate and aluminum foil ready so you can get the fish covered right when it comes out of the pan. This way it stays warm while you make the rest of the dish. Last tip- fish spatula is always best.
- 2 halibut filets, 6 oz
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5ish tomatoes, diced (about 1.5 cups)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 0.25 cup freshly chopped parsley (optional)
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- In a bowl, combine beans, tomatoes (and their juices), garlic, basil, big pinch of salt, pepper, and one tablespoons olive oil. Set aside on the counter, can be made several hours in advance.
- Pat halibut dry with paper towels. Season all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a cast iron or regular skillet over medium high heat until good and hot. Add halibut fillets and don’t move for four minutes. Flip and cook an additional three to four minutes. Place halibut on a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Add the tomato bean mixture to the pan you cooked the fish in. Add four tablespoons butter. Bring to a low simmer for 5-10 minutes until thickened. If it seems too thick you can add a few tablespoons of water or veggie stock. Season with salt/pep.
- Tuck the fish into the bean/tomato sauce. Spoon some of the sauce over the halibut. Garnish with chopped parsley or extra basil. Enjoy with plenty of bread for sopping up the sauce.
Inspired by PinchOfYum