This lovely little soup is just in time for Spring. Carrots get all kinds of delicious love after a trip under the broiler. You can choose your choice on the amount of ginger you want to include but I would go big- it’s a major contributor in the soup. The white wine deglaze and sautéed onions/garlic play a major role too.
Also- this soup is gluten free and vegan which is especially amazing considering how delicious it is… One word of advice- be liberal on the salt. This can go from soup to baby food really fast if you don’t get serious with your seasoning.
- 8 large carrots (almost 2 pounds), peeled
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 piece ginger, 1-2 inches long, peeled
- Olive oil
- 0.5 large sweet onion, diced
- 0.25 cup dry white wine
- 3 garlic cloves
- A few sprigs of thyme
- Cut carrots into 0.5” inch rounds. Toss carrots with three tablespoons of olive oil and a serious amount of salt on a rimmed baking sheet. Place on the top rack of the oven under the broiler.
- Broil the carrots for 20 minutes, turning every five minutes until the carrots are browned.
- Meanwhile bring the stock to a boil. Add the ginger and a few sprigs of thyme. Reduce to simmer and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs.
- In a large stock pot heat a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and sauté another minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the white wine and stir for 30 seconds scraping the bottom. Add the carrots and veggie stock and bring to boil for 5 minutes until the carrots are soft.
- Use an immersion blender or a blender/food processor to puree the soup. Season soup really really really like you mean it. Garnish with thyme.
Inspired by Food52